Protect yourself against costly water losses and homeowner’s insurance claims by following these easy tips to keep your home safe and well-maintained before the weather turns:
1. Disconnect hoses: Standing water in a hose may freeze back into the pipe and create an ice block that, in a best-case scenario, stops your water flow. In the worst cases, it may cause pipes to burst and create damage to walls, floor and the foundation.
2. Clean gutters and downspouts: Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage and ice dams when we get freezing weather. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof, and unmanaged overflow may create puddles that could damage your foundation. Don’t forget to also clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
3. Maintain trees and vegetation: Healthy shrubs can be a beautiful thing — except when their roots wrap around your pipes and break them. That’s why it’s important to minimize landscaping near utility pipes or, if necessary, remove trees and shrubs that have become too big.
4. Know your water main: Know where the location of your water main is, and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time. If no water goes into the house you reduce the chance for faucet drips to wreak havoc on your home while you’re away.
5. Check appliances regularly: Check and maintain your home appliances regularly for leaks according to manufacturer’s directions.
Of course water damage may occur, even when safety measures are taken. If you experience water damage, call Steamatic of Arkansas for fast, thorough and professional service.
We service clients throughout the state of Arkansas including: Pulaski County, Saline County, Garland County, Faulkner County, Lonoke County, Conway County, Pope County, Prairie County, Cleburne County, White County, Van Buren County, Yell County, Montgomery County, Hot Spring County, Hempstead County, Pike County, Clark County, Grant County, Perry County and our main offices are located in Little Rock and Hot Springs. For larger jobs we will service all of Arkansas.